Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My girlfriend is wondering if her older brother, which got…

Customer Question
Hello! my girlfriend is...

Hello! my girlfriend is wondering if her older brother, which got married with an american, can request her. She is 21

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

To get the residency? no no yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No no yet! she wants to start the process and know how can it be done

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are about to get married, probably next year

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 3 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

It's okay

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Is the brother a U.S. Citizen yet? What country was your girlfriend born in? Is she in the U.S.? In what status?

Yeah her brother is a citizen. She is from Argentina and she is in a international student visa
I'm in a class right now, so I cannot take a phone call

And you understand that it will take 13+ years for her to be able to use her bother's petition to stay in the U.S. and she won't be able to maintain F-1 student status that long?

Yeah I know! so what is the best option?

I think you probably know but you are probably looking for another option. Are you a U.S. Citizen?

What option is that. No I'm not a citizen.

Marrying a U.S. Citizen is an option, for love, of course. Does she have any money to invest? How much?

Okay. no no too much money! I'm sorry.
I just wanted to know that. Thank you so much.
am I going to get my 5 dollars back again?

I have to tell you that it is not looking good. She is maintaining her current status? How long until she graduates with her bachelors degree?

Probably 5 more years.

You want a refund? Is someone going to refund my time? And it is only $5 as a deposit. Once an expert answers, the value that you assigned your question is charged to you which is a total of $38. Tell me now so I don't waste more of my time. Not fair to me since I don't get a salary to sit in my office and answer questions, I only get a portion of your $38.

Thank you so much. Have a good day!

Please, next time make sure that you understand how to use the service. Good luck.