Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

When filling out the sponsor form for a K1 visa, it asked…

Customer Question
When filling out the...

When filling out the sponsor form for a K1 visa, it asked where and when my fiance and I met. How in to detail should I get. Should I write a personal affidavit and get it notarized? or should I just be breif with my answer and add witness affidavits?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet I am in the process of filling it out

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the K-1 visa?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My fiance has been denied two E2 visas due to having a DUI and disorderly conduct charge when he lived here before. Is this a pointless attempt to get a K1 visa?

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Immigration Law
4/2/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 23 days ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 22 days ago

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

You and your fiance should write detailed statements explaining how you met and how the relationship developed. The statement should also include that you intend to marry within 90 days of the fiance arriving in the US. The statement can be hand written or a word document you print out and sign under penalty of perjury. You do not need to have them notarized.

Did the disorderly conduct happen at the same time he was charged with the DUI? It is likely that your fiance will need to be screened by the Embassy physician to determine if he has a mental health issue which causes him to drink. If he is cleared as not having any mental health issues then he can get the visa.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you - They were two separate occasions. The DUI was about 7 years ago and the disorderly conduct was about 3 years ago. Do we need to set up for the embassy physician to determine if he has mental issues? Or is this something they will do after reviewing everything?

No he does not set up the physical exam. He will be called in for his interview and if his background check is flagged with the arrests he will be asked to provide the consul with certified copies of the court dispositions. He will need to contact the court where he appeared on those charges.

After the consul receives the court dispositions they will schedule the medical.

If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
One more question. As he was previously denied the work visa, what do you think are the chances of him being denied the fiancé visa? How long do you believe it will take?

Generally when one has strong ties to a US citizen as either fiance or spouse they are more focused on family unification than splitting the couple up.

If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer