Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have an immigration question. It's really just a question…

Customer Question
I have an immigration...

I have an immigration question.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No, no. It's really just a question about the status of someone's citizenship when born to an American, which spent most her life outside of the country. I thought the son of an American citizen is himself an American citizen, despite how many years his parents remained outside of the U.S.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Nope.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 3 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

The law in this area is complicated and has changed often over the years. I cannot debate the fairness of the law or the reasons that the lawmakers did what they did and why they did it. I can only tell you what the law was at the time that the child was born. So when was the child born and were both parents married to each other at the time of the child's birth and only one was a U.S. Citizen?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

When was the child born and were both parents married to each other at the time of the child's birth and only one was a U.S. Citizen?