Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a friend thats help. His question is, I've been

Customer Question
I have a friend thats...
I have a friend thats help. His question is, I've been dating my girlfriend since 2016. We speak everyday and i've been coming to the states once a year since we've been together. We've also met a couple of times outside the country. We want to get married so we want to know what the best option is in terms of cost and time. Should I marry her on my next visit to the states later this year when I come then stay and wait for documents to come, or marry and the leave the country and wait for the paperwork to be ready?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Immigration Law
4/1/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 24 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

Should I marry her on my next visit to the states later this year when I come then stay and wait for documents to come,

Response 1: Not a good idea. This would be present an issue of fraudulent intent with your Application for Adjustment of Status. USCIS/Immigration may make a claim that you entered as a visitor with the intent to stay here permanently. Thus, you lied on your entry form and therefore your Application for Adjustment of Status should be denied and you deported.

or marry and the leave the country and wait for the paperwork to be ready?

Response 2: Yes, this is better and more importantly legal course of action.

Goodluck with your marriage,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank You. I have another question. When we apply for Adjustment, Can the biometric be done in my home country or do i need to come back to the states for that?
Immigration Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 23 days ago

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Response: The process is a little different when you are outside the U.S. Biometric is only needed when you are Adjusting Status in the U.S. USCIS/Department of Homeland Security. When you are outside the U.S. the process is done through Consular Process through the U.S. State Department. You would be told before your interview what documents you need to bring to the Embassy including Police Clearance Report from your country.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law