Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Derivative citizenship. Planning to apply for US passport.

Derivative citizenship Lawyer's Assistant:...

Derivative citizenship

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

No, planning to apply for US passport

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Documents needed

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/31/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Who is deriving citizenship from who? Is the person sure that they qualify?

I am from my father. He naturalized in 2006 at that time I was 15 and had been a LPR for a year and a half. I was made aware that I qualified for the N600 when I was filling out the N400 online to begin my naturalization process. So I plan to apply for a U.S. passport but am wondering paperwork is needed beside my father’s certificate of citizenship, my birth certificate, parents marriage license, and valid ID. Have read that some people took this route and were asked for an affidavit of the parents presence in the U.S. and proof that the child was living with the parent.

Yes, you do have to also show that you residing in the United States at that time in the legal and physical custody of your father. This means you should show something that proves you were living with your dad such as a transcript that show you had the same address and he's listed as your custodial parent, also tax returns where he claims you as a dependent is good. The more items the better.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer many days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back. Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. It is very important to me. This is my job. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney