Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm presently seeking informations concerning changing

Customer Question
Good Afternoon,I'm presently seeking...

Good Afternoon,I'm presently seeking informations concerning changing employer after obtaining a employment based green card. I have been with them for 6 months now and I'm having a job opportunity to evolve in my career. I would like to stay with this employer part time now and move with somebody else Full time. Before making any moves, I'd like some guidance about what would be the best procedure in order not to affect the later process of citizenship.Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes I already have my green card. Please read on top.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/30/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

What are your specific questions about this?

Good afternoon James,I am trying to know if changing my full time employer after having my green card for 6 months would be a problem when I apply for my citizenship later.
I'm planning to stay in the same field with the new job, but still work part time with the old employer.
I have read online about staying around 6 months, but this looks like it isn't really a rule.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: There is no way to know if it will be a problem. In thinking about this, you have to keep in mind that the whole purpose of getting you a green card through employment is to help the employer who could not find US workers (PERM), and not to get you a green card. The US doesn't just hand them out; it is a convenient outcome for you. So that is the premise from which which we need to work.

Now, the law says that if you leave within 2 years of getting the card, you have the burden of proof, if the question is raised, that you intended the position to be a permanent hire, and that you and the employer did not intend for you to leave after you got the green card. After 2 years, the USCIS has to prove that your intent was never to be permanent.

Technically, the law says 2 years; and they can hold you to that. But in practice, if you are with the employer for 1 year, you are safe. ^ months to 1 year has also been acceptable, but the likelihood of questions being raised is a little higher than if it were 1 year or more.

So again, there is no way for me to know if you are going to have issues. I would be prepared for the possibility, considering the current state of the administration and it's view on immigration. But do not be overly concerned.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help?

Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Thank you!

Hi there,

I see you are able to review my responses. Do you have additional questions? Are you having issues with the rating system?