Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My husband citizen married the person who he was cheating on…

Customer Question
second opinion] My husband citizen...
second opinion] My husband citizen married the person who he was cheating on me , but we still married, by the way I have not file any papers of citizenship , if he go to jail for bigamy how I can file my papers?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/30/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 3 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

If he goes to jail, but you forgive him and you two continue to be legally married, he can petition you even if he is in jail.

However, if you do not want to continue to be with him and he abused you in some way, then you can try to apply for your green card based on VAWA. If he goes to jail for bigamy this does NOT help your bigamy case too much. Only things that help you are evidence that he abused you.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

--------

Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 months ago
Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer many days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back. Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. It is very important to me. This is my job. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.