Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a few questions relating to jurisdiction for a future…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a few questions relating to jurisdiction for a future divorce case my wife and I used to live in the USA but now we live in Taiwan (she is German / US citizen) I am only a German citizen we agree to split and I move back to the USA and she likely does so as well.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Taiwanese lawyer about this?

Yes - but he doesn't understand US law the question is if we both move to a different state e.g. say she goes to Oregon and I go to Texas who will have jurisdiction in the future the person who files first?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well I have the following questions:

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/30/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Jurisdiction is based on where the filing party resides. So either of you can apply for divorce where you reside, and that will be the jurisdiction with authority over the divorce.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 19 days ago

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help?

Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer