Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question. If someone has a criminal record in

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a question. If someone has a criminal record in another country, will he still be able to obtain a green card?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No, not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that will be it thanks.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/29/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!ANSWER: It depends. If the conviction is for something that would make a person inadmissible or deportable, then it could preclude him from getting a green card.So to answer your question, a person with a criminal record may still be able to get a green card, but it depends entirely on the type of criminal record.I hope that answers your questions.▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.
A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.
If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.
And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.
Thank you!
Thank you James, I will request you again.
Great. But for now, please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help?

Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Thank you!

Hi there,

I see you are reading my responses. Are you having problems with the rating system?