Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US citizen, my husband is French and we live in

Customer Question
Hello, I am a...

Hello, I am a US citizen, my husband is French and we live in Cambodia. We would like to move to the US in about 3 months and are trying to figure out the smartest/most timely way to do it. We have been married 11 years & have 2 children.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Nothing yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

A friend here who is a lawyer, yes, but he is not an immigration lawyer, however he has been through the green card process with his Swedish wife.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/29/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

I would like to know if it’s possible to submit Direct Consular Filing from Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Could this be an option for us?
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'll have to opt out so that another expert can assist you with this.

Immigration Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney.

Have you spoken yet to the US Embassy in Cambodia? It appears there is a way to do it while in Cambodia. I have some information for you.

Hello Damien, thanks.
No we have not yet spoken to the embassy here.
We have been living in Cambodia for over 5 years.

Thanks for the additional information.

I reviewed the information from the Embassy in Cambodia. It appears you can do it online with the USCIS. After you apply, the interview is conducted at the Consulate in Cambodia. Very convenient.

The Embassy explains the whole process.

Would you like me to share the links with you?

please.Also: do you think this would be a wise path for us given what I have told you so far?
What are our other options?

Here are the links that explain the process:

https://kh.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

https://kh.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/immigrant-visas-family-based-immigration/

To apply for an immediate relative or family preference immigrant visa, follow the steps on the Immigrant Visa Process on usvisas.state.gov.

After you have completed the steps on the Immigrant Visa Process on usvisas.state.gov, including paying the necessary fees and submitting the required immigrant visa application form (DS-260), Affidavit of Support, and supporting documents to the National Visa Center (NVC), they will review your file for completeness. Once your case becomes qualified for an interview, NVC will work with the Embassy to schedule an interview appointment for you.

If you want to call the Embassy, the number is: (855-23) 728-000

This seems like the process to use, rather than attempting to come to the US first, which could be more cumbersome. The Embassy will surely help you with guidance.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

I look forward to hearing your answers and receiving the links. Thank you.

I provide to you all the links above. Can't you see them?

Here is everything again:

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see if you need further help. If you need more, just let me know.