Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Guillermo, I am getting married next month, I am a Chinese,

Hi Guillermo,I am getting married...
Hi Guillermo,I am getting married next month, I am a Chinese, my boyfriend is an American, are you able to provide a detailed information what documents we should prepare?I live in San Diego, California.Thank you!
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018

Welcome back and thank you for requesting me by name. So you are currently living in the U.S.? What was the visa that you last used to enter the U.S.? When was the last time that you entered the U.S.?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Yeah, I live in U.S, when I enter U.S in 2014 July, I used a B1/B2 tourist visa, after a few month travel, I changed my status to F1. After I changed my Visa status, I heard if I go back to U.S, it is hard for me to enter U.S which I did not know that when I changed the visa status. So these years, I have been study in UCSD, and used OPT for work in a startup company for a year, applied H1B but did not get selected in the lottery, then I back to school in CUI as a MBA student. So I never back to China since 2014 July 8.

After you marry, you will need to file an adjustment package. This includes the following forms: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-130A, I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at http://www.uscis.gov/forms.

The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your spouse's U.S. Citizenship, proof of your legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents of your spouse to prove their income over the last year at least.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, the work permit and Advance Parole (travel permit) should be issued. About 5 to 7 months after filing the interview should be scheduled (though now it is taking longer, so maybe closer to 7 to 9 months). If all goes well, a few weeks later the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency card (green card) should come in the mail.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. If you want help reviewing, filling out, or filing the proper paperwork, those are my favorite cases to do. Just let me know and I can help you. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you very much!
I think we need get a marriage license to get married in County of San Diego, right?
Do I need provide birth certificate for the marriage license?
I think only the birth certificate I need my parents send me from China, can I use a copy? Can I translate it into English by myself? My city in China do not provide birth certificate who born before 1996, so my parent only got me a prove letter of birth certificate.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you need a marriage license. I cannot tell you what they will need as ID, but immigration will want to see your long form birth certificate. You cannot translate it yourself. Someone that is NOT connected to the case has to do it and certify that they are competent to do so and that the translation is accurate. They do not have to be a certified translator. They have to certify the translation. There is a difference. If the certificate is not available, take a look at this link (click on where it says Birth Certificates):

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/China.html

Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years and there is important information I can only give you in private. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you so much! I will think about it, if I need, I will pay that offer and back to you later.Thank you so much!

You are very welcome. Just let me know. Thank you!