Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Can undocumented immigrants with a highschool diploma get a…

Can undocumented immigrants with a...
Can undocumented immigrants with a highschool diploma get a college education in the State of California?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello and welcome back. Please remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question and I can become your personal immigration consultant.

Yes. Many schools allow undocumented students to attend and receive degrees, the problem comes in getting scholarships and paying the higher tuition rates, but as to your question, yes.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

If you're not a US citizen, then normally you would have to apply as an international student and obtain the correct student visa to apply but if you become illegal and undocumented and a resident of the state of California, can you still apply for college and pay in state tuition instead of the out of state tuition?

Take a look at these links:

https://uleadnet.org/map/california-policy

http://www.ncsl.org/research/education/undocumented-student-tuition-overview.aspx

So California does have options for undocumented students to have in-state tuition rates.

These are for qualifying undocumented students who have at least attended 3 years of highschool in the state of California.
What about the undocumented want to return to school to get a college degree students who have highschool diplomas from a different state but have been residing in California for over 20 years?

From what I see about California, they have to have attended a California high school for at least 3 years to qualify for the lower tuition. So they will probably have to hunt around in California for a school that they can afford, unfortunately. Please do not forget the positive rating. Thank you.

Do you know of any websites or agencies that I can get more info about this from?

Not really. Just perhaps these:

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/compare/tables/?state=CA

http://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/california/

Thank you

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!