Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I became a card holder in May 2010. In the last 5 years, I…

Customer Question
Hi, I became a green...
Hi, I became a green card holder in May 2010. In the last 5 years, I have taken the following trips outside US. 1. March 9 2013 - Feb 5th 20142. Feb 14th 2014 - Sep 11 20143. Dec 16 2014 - Jan 9th 20154. Dec 16 2015 - Jan 9th 20165. March 22 2016 - May 11th 20166. Dec 12th 2016 - Feb 14th 20177. May 9th 2017 - June 5th 20178. Dec 13th 2017 - Dec 29th 2017When will I be eligible to apply for citizenship? Am I eligible right now under the 4 year 1 day rule?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/28/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 4 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Thanks

It does not seem like you have spent more than 365 days outside the US in ONE trip. Therefore you do not need to use the 4 years and 1 day rule. You are eligible now. You have sufficient days INSIDE the US. However you have been outside more than 6 months in ONE trip two times. In the last 5 years, for every trip that was more than 6 months which was trip 1) and 2) you will need to show that you were still living in the US during those trips, meaning you had a job here and/or a permanent home in the US, filed taxes here, had bills here, bank account here, etc.

If you prefer to not risk it and not have to show that proof, then wait to approve after it has been 5 years since September 11, 2014, which would be September 11, 2019.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly now click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. Do not worry, the question will NOT actually finish and we will NOT be done even after you click and rate me. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I will continue to answer your follow up questions for you at no additional charge.

Hopefully you feel you can rate me 3 stars or more. Of course, 5 stars rating is the best! The stars are very important. This is how I receive a credit from what you paid the website. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you.

Again, if you have additional follow up questions that you would like to ask me, please Finish... and rate me and then ask me and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always welcomed and very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you writing the words "FOR JEN MARIE" in your new post. :)