Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I stay in US on H1- visa which will expire in July,2018. My…

I stay in US on...
I stay in US on H1-B visa which will expire in July,2018. My wife, who is on H4, left the US in January,2018 and is planning to return in October 2018. My company is planning to file an H1 extension next month. They mentioned that My H1 and my wife's H4 extension can be filed together. Can it be filed together?
3/28/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Unfortunately, they cannot be. They can only be filed together IF your spouse is in the U.S. AND she stays in the U.S. until her I-539 is approved which could take a few months as there is no Premium Processing for H-4. I have heard that if an H-1B extension is filed in Premium Processing and an I-539 is filed with it, they may expedite the H-4. If your spouse needs to travel during the specified time period that the I-539 will be pending, then she should stay out until your H-1B extension is approved. That way they give her up until the new date of your new I-94 once she comes in.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!