Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am inquiring for a family from Chihuahua,Mexico. Three…

Hello--I am inquiring for...

Hello--I am inquiring for a family from Chihuahua,Mexico. Three weeks ago they fled to El Paso, Texas and are being held there currently. Three of the brothers were shot execution style ((one was only 15 years old) and killed while on their way to work and their truck stolen. The rest of the family believe they are being targeted by the Cartel because they own a cattle ranch. Immigration is holding three of the other brothers , but allowed their wives and babies to proceed to Santa Rosa, CA. They told the brothers that they would have to be in detention for up to three years before they could come in--even though they are seeking asylum. Can anything be done to help them? Can they get political asylum in San Francisco?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I just got this latest information today that they are being held in ElPaso.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about asylum?

They have no money---they had to flee with almost nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I know several of the family members and they are good, hardworking people. They are terrified. The murderers tortured and then shot the boys in the backs of their heads. The family had to search for them for 8 days in order to find their bodies.

3/28/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Most issues with the cartel are local police problems even though the police might be ineffective or corrupt. The U.S. cannot accept persons from all nations that are having such issues. An Asylum case would have to be based on persecution because of their race, nationality, religion, social group or political opinion. If they are going to try it anyway, they should hire an attorney to file the I-589 application for Asylum because the first chance at it is the best chance. They can look for an attorney at www.ailalawyer.com. Here is a link to information on Asylum:

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

The male members of the family are currently being held in El Paso. They have been told it might be up to three years before they could be released to the U.S. or sent back to Mexico.Thank you for the websites to contact. I will do so and then get back to you if they can figure out a way to hire an attorney.

I doubt they will be held even near that amount of time as it costs the U.S. money to hold them. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!