Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am wondering how will my naturalization process will be…

Hi, i am wondering...

Hi, i am wondering how will my naturalization process will be affected if i move to a different state after the process has already been started?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

I have already filled for naturalization

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?

Its been submitted already\

3/28/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Yes, it will certainly cause a significant delay if you move. As to how long of a delay I cannot say, but it will probably be 6 months or more as when the case is transferred, it ends up at the bottom of a pile, not the top of a pile, as you can imagine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I currently live in new orleans, and when i filed for my I400, I was told to send my documents to the office in houston texas.
Later on after i have already filed the I400, i discovered that if i am a military dependent, i could have sent it to a different office.
Is that other office for military dependents any faster at processing your files?
Is it possible to re apply when one is already in process to try to send the documents to a faster processing office?

It is possible that they could have processed it faster had you sent to Chicago, IL as a military dependent, but I believe that any time that you would have saved is moot now because if you tried to have it moved over, that would take a number of months as well. Besides, those offices are processing hubs. When that phase of the processing is done, it is moved over to the local field office where you live and that's the office that usually takes a long time to schedule the interviews. Right now, in New Orleans, they are taking 12 to 17.5 months to schedule N-400 interviews.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What would be the farthest i can move from the place i filed my case without affecting the current progress?
Is there a way to get around that? Maybe not reporting your change of address ?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
How bad will it affect me if i do not change my address and when i go to the appointment the officer realizes i no longer live at the first location?

You are supposed to stay in the same jurisdiction where you filed the N-400. Any move outside of that jurisdiction is going to cause a significant delay. If you lie about moving to avoid the delay, that will cause a denial due to lack of good moral character. So if you are going to move, be honest about it and deal with the delay. If you really need the U.S. Citizenship faster, then deal with not being able to move. I am truly sorry. I wish there was a convenient solution for you, but lying is going to get you into trouble and you could lose your money and then have to wait 5+ years before they will entertain you having good moral character again. I am just trying to keep you from getting into trouble. I hope you realize that.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I do not intend to lie, but maybe keeping a PO Box in that area.
Would that work? Or is physical presence required at the area of filling?

It's physical presence at time of filing that it supposed to continue until the oath ceremony. That's how it is supposed to work,

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
How can i find the farthest away I can move without falling out of my office jurisdiction?

Why do you have to move that you can just choose some place close?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
My wife is separating from the coast guard and she is looking for jobs at different places, so I did not want to restrict her to stay around this area if she got a better job opportunity somewhere else.
She is currently stationed in Morgan City LA, and we live in Houma LA, thats why we fall within the New Orleans jurisdiction.

Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

You can check the field office county jurisdictions there.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I appreciate your help. thanks.

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
A company has offered my wife a job in a different state already. If she takes that job, and we are living separately until the N-400 process is complete, can we still prove to USCIS that our marriage is legitimate if we are living separately? Will this actually cause more issues? I just don't want to have to hold my wife back and I plan to move to where she is located once the N-400 process is complete. I also plan to visit her frequently.

Further complicating matters, I see. It could be considered a red flag, but if the other evidence is good and the explanation is reasonable, then it can work.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.