Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

FOR GUILLERMO I have a couple quick questions for you about…

FOR GUILLERMOHello sir. I have...
FOR GUILLERMOHello sir. I have a couple quick questions for you about someone applying for green card who needs a joint sponsor:1. If the situation is such that the green card applicant lives only with her spouse (doesn't have any children), but the joint sponsor has 3 children, what is the total amount of people in this household for purposes of the minimum income requirement?2. Does a joint sponsor have to be a U.S. citizen, or can it be either a citizen or green card holder?Thank you.
3/27/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

1) Five. The Joint Sponsor himself or herself, his or her three children, and the Beneficiary. If the Joint Sponsor is married, add one more. If the Joint Sponsor has anyone else they claim on their income taxes they should be added too.

2) It can be ANY U.S. Citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident over age 18.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!