Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I need help with filling Supplement J. When can I connect to…

I need help with...

I need help with filling Supplement J

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When can I connect to the lawyer

3/27/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hello, my name is Bipin.
I need some answers on filling Supplement J. What do I fill for the USCIS Online account number?

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

You may not have an online account number. What specific questions do you have? Please list them all so I can go one by one. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hello Sir, thank you for your reply. I could not clearly see your reply on the messenger. I would like to continue to ask you some questions.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
On the Supplement J form, what do I enter for USCIS Online account number?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I was trying the option of talking to you, but the system was not accepting my payment information.

So not worry. We can continue here without additional fee. You see how next to the USCIS Online Account Number is ***** (If any)? That's because it isn't required and you probably don't have one. So move on from that. Leave is blank. What else would you like to know? Please try to list all your questions at one time. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok, thankyou sir. I was wondering if I should say N/A for that.

Just leave it blank. So what else would you like to know?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
My Supplement J is for confirmation of bonafide employment with same employer that filed my 140.

Yes. I know.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
as evidence to go with the Supp J form, am I required to provide the 485 receipt notice?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I was trying to say that the Supp J for me is not for job portability, but for confirmation of bonafide job.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Is copy of 140 approval also required as evidence?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The SOC code provided by my employer in the Supp J form is different from the SOC code on my 140 approval notice. Will that be an issue?

It should not be necessary as they will have that on record. If you look at the 3rd page of the instructions, you will see what needs to be filed with the Supplement J. As to the SOC code, yes, it could be a problem, of course. Are you porting the I-485 because you have a new employer? Remember it has to be the same or similar job.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No, I am not porting the 485. I am with the same employer that filed the 140. The 485 has been pending for more than a year. USCIS issued an RFE for Supp J.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The job that I am doing now is with the same company that filed my 140.

Ok. And what SOC was used for the PERM and I-140 and why would you have a different SOC code?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Mine was EB1-C. SOC code was 11-3021, as mentioned in Supp J. But in 140 petition approval notice, it is 111111.

Why?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
You mean why it is different in the Supp J filled by employer? My employer has already filled all employer sections of the Supp J.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The SOC code provided by employer in Supp J was probably what was used in 140 filing.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
i was curious why there is this difference.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Sir, does the 140 approval notice always show correct SOC code?

I am curious too and I cannot explain it. I just don't understand why they would change the SOC code. So yes, I think it can cause a problem because the PERM and I-140 for a specific job in a specific area and that is very regulated because the whole point of all of those details is to prove that you would not be taking a job away from a U.S. worker. You may want to speak to your company's attorney and ask why they used a different SOC code because it could cause a problem. If the PERM and the I-140 match, and they should, then the I-485 should match as well.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Sir, like I said, I don't have PERM.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
On the 485, the SOC code is not mentioned either.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Can you tell me if the SOC code is always correctly listed on the 140 approval notice?

I see. Still, the I-140 SOC should still match the I-485 Supplement J SOC. I assume your employer has an attorney? The I-140 approval should have the correct SOC. It is possible that they could have listed it in error, but you should speak to the company attorney to verify.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, I will do that. But the SOC code found on the 140 approval is not found in the SOC system / BLS site.

I cannot tell you why there is a discrepancy. There shouldn't be one.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, I will talk to the company attorney. But, like I said, the SOC code on the approval notice is not found in the Bureau of Labor Statistics website either.

It is very strange. I cannot really explain it. Thank you for the positive rating. If you have additional questions after you speak to your attorney, just come back here and reply. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok, thank you for your support. I will revert if necessary.

My pleasure!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.