Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I’m bringing my fiancé from the Philippines on fiancé visa.

I’m bringing my fiancé from...
I’m bringing my fiancé from the Philippines on fiancé visa. We’re getting married immediately. I want her to get Social Security card immediately how long does that take. And we work in a license care facility and they require a live scan.Can she get that before we get married or after words
3/27/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

There is no "immediate" when you do a K-1 or K-3. You are looking at around 3 to 5 months or so before she can get a work permit and after the work permit, that's when she can get the social security number and card. Have you considered going there, marrying and then doing the CR-1 process?

Hi Guillermo
Are you telling me that if we get married within the first week that she comes here she can’t apply for a work permit

She can certainly APPLY after she gets married, but the work permit takes 3 to 5 months to process and she is not supposed to work until it is approved and she cannot get the social security number and card until she gets the work permit. So as I said before, have you considered going over there and marrying her and doing a CR-1 if your concern is to get her working ASAP?

She will be here in about two months we’ve already done all the paperwork
my next question is if we get married can she do a live scan
She won’t have a Social Security card down so I’m thinking not

Well, then as soon as she gets her, you marry within the 90 days, and file the following forms: I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at www.uscis.gov/forms.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, the work permit and Advance Parole (travel permit) should be issued. About 5 to 7 months after filing the interview should be scheduled (though now it is taking longer, so maybe closer to 7 to 9 months). If all goes well, a few weeks later the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency card (green card) should come in the mail.

You can TRY to expedite the work permit, but there is no guarantee. Here are two links in regards ***** *****:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume1-PartA-Chapter12.html

If you don't try to expedite or they do not agree with your expedite request, it will probably be 3 to 5 months to get the work permit, as I said.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you

You are very welcome! Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

I will

Thank you!