Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Getting my renewal resident card and chances of getting

denied for a misdemeanor of...
Getting my renewal resident card and chances of getting denied for a misdemeanor of false police report.. what are the chances?
3/27/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

What was your sentence and what was the possible maximum sentence?

Judith

14 Days Of community service and the possible maximum sentence was less than an year but never actually served jail time

Very good. Although this may be considered a CMIT = crime involving moral turpitude because fraud is the underlying cause of action, you are allowed one "pass" of a CMIT that does not have a sentence of more than 6 months and a maximum sentence of less than one year.

You may renew, but will be asked for a certified copy of the court disposition so you may want to get that and have it when they ask or send it with your I-90.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

they will ask for the court disposition?

In most cases yes because when they do your biometrics all that shows up is a "hit". That your prints were taken for some criminal history. There is no more information than that and the burden is on you to show that you only had this one minor misdemeanor.

If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
I still not have yet completed the 14 Days Of community service so don’t have the court disposition

Then you can either wait to send in your I-90 or file and respond to a RFE for the disposition if they send one out.

Judith

RFE?

Apologies. Lawyer talk. RFE = Request for Evidence. They would send that out if they want the court disposition and generally they do now under Trump.

Judith

just wait and see if they decide to send out a RFE after the biometric appointment?
If I am able to get the court disposition how do I send it in after the renewal form has been seend? Or should I wait to see if the ask for evidence?

Yes, you can do that either way wait and send with I-90 now or wait and see if they ask for it. Your card is automatically extended for one year with the I-90 receipt so you can use old card and receipt to prove you are legal.

Judith

If they do decide to ask for evidence it will be after the biometric appointment?

Yes, that is when they get a hit, when they run your biometrics.

Judith

after that I would get a letter in mail asking for evidence ?

Yes.

I am going into a client meeting now.

Judith