Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was born in 1967 outside of the United States and out of…

I was born in 1967...
I was born in 1967 outside of the United States and out of wedlock. My mother is a US citizen, was born in 1946 and lived in the US until she was 15 years old. My father was not born in the US and is not a US citizen. We have never applied for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.Can I apply for a CRBA today?If not, can I apply today for a Certificate of Citizenship (N-600 form) or for a US Passport?
3/27/2018

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
OK, I'll be waiting for your answer.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

It is too late to apply for CRBA. The only option would be to apply for a U.S. Passport, but I don't think you qualify. Did your mother ever go back to live in the U.S. after she left at 15 but before you were born?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No, she did not.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
As far as I know For Children Born Before June 12, 2017 outside of the United States and out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen mother may be entitled to U.S. citizenship providing the U.S. Citizen mother had been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of at least one year (365 days) at some time prior to the birth of the child. (NOTE: Periods spent overseas with the U.S. government/military or as a government/military dependent, are NOT considered as physical presence in the U.S. for transmission under this category).
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
This is from the CitizenPath website:
Obtaining Proof of U.S. Citizenship When Over 18
Individuals born abroad who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth but who are now over the age of 18 (and so not eligible for a CRBA) may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship to document U.S. citizenship using Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship. Alternatively, the individual may apply for a U.S. passport.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Are you still there?

Yes. Please be patient. I help other customers at the same time.

Ok. Sorry about the delay. I was on the phone with a customer that had complicated issue. Here is a link:

http://dc.fd.org/library/naturalization%20chart.pdf

On the 7th page, you will see that if you were born out of wedlock, yes, your mother would only have to prove only 1 year of living in the U.S. before you were born. And yes, the proper thing to do would be to file an N-600, get a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship and then apply for the U.S. Passport.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Are there any issus with filing an N-600 and getting a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship? Is this a simple technical step or do I need a lawyer for that?

It is a technical step where you do not need a lawyer, but you will have to prove that your mother is a U.S. Citizen, you will have to prove that you are her daughter, and you will have to prove at least 12 months of her physical presence in the U.S. to qualify. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Do I need to prove that I was born out of wedlock? If yes, how do I do that?

Yes, because if you cannot, then your mother needs to have much more physical presence in the U.S. and some of it after she turned 15. As to how you can do that, you could provide government statements stating that there is no marriage record from the U.S. where she used to live and all the locations outside of the U.S. where she has lived.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Following your above reply, I just found out that there are two different routes for claiming my Citizenship and/or US Passport;
1. Application for Certificate of Citizenship using form N-600.
2. Claim for US Citizenship at birth using the attached Citizenship Claim Packet (forms DS-11 and DS-4079 included in the packet).
A quick reminder: I was born after 1952, out of wedlock, to a US Citizen Mother who lived in the US more than 365 days prior to my birth and to a Foreign national Father. You advised me claim my US Citizenship using form N-600 (first option above).
As far as the two routes;
1. What is the difference between these two routes and which one is right in my case?
2. Which route is faster, easier and less expensive?
3. Are these alternative routes or can I apply in both routes simultaneously?
4. If my application is rejected in one of the routes, can I still apply in the other route?
5. I did not find in the second route any requirement for proving or declaring that I was born out of wedlock – is this right?
Thank you,
Oren

1) The N-600 gets you a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship. The packet gets you a U.S. Passport. After 9/11, a U.S. Passport is no longer 100% proof of U.S. Citizenship, just evidence of U.S. Citizenship.

2) Do both. You should get the Certificate first, then the U.S. Passport.

3) N-600 first.

4) It is doubtful they will issue you the U.S. Passport if you fail with the N-600.

5) It is there. You even outlined it.