Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

California. This is about immigration question. We are. Just…

California Lawyer's Assistant: What...

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

This is about immigration question.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

We are

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Yes just consulting.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are a beneficiary of an approved family petition under 245i (sister to brother). We are already in the US but still waiting for adjustment of status, Can we apply for work permit while waiting?

3/27/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi Atty Senmartin,I would just like to have an instant legal advise to help me decide before I go further,Thanks,
Gideon

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Has the I-485 been filed yet?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
we were able to beat the April 2001 deadline.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I already have an approved petition under form I-797C

Then yes, an I-765 can be filed with a copy of the I-485 receipt and using category (c)(9) on the I-765 to ask for a work permit. The work permit should come within 3 to 5 months or so.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Can I submit the I 765 myself on line?

That is not currently an option. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Is there a way to apply for a change of status eve though the priority date is still in the future. That is because we are already in the US and need to apply for livelihood,

Of you are out of status or entered illegally, no, there is not other than filing an I-130 or I-140 or I-360 that has an immigrant visa immediately available to the petition. And even then, any of those would take the same time or longer than an I-765 that you would file now, so best just to file the I-765 and get the work permit.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I went to the INS website and tried to apply and after some questions, they said I am qualified for the I765. There is a fee of $165. Is that ok?

If that's what they say is the fee. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
OK Atty Senmartin, I think you have laid out my option clearly. That will end my consultation request. Thanks a lot.

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.