Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My opt grace period expires in 20 days. Can I stay for

My opt grace period...

My opt grace period expires in 20 days. Can I stay for another two months on a tourist visa to travel around America

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not as yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

Yes they saying I can leave the country after my opt expires for a day or so n re enter on a tourist visa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wanted to confirm if it’s ok

3/27/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Ok I am waiting for yr response to my question
No pls. Just answer. I don’t want to call

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Yes, if you file an I-539 before your grace period ends, you can stay in the U.S. while it is pending. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-539

You would have to explain the following:

1) Why do you want the new status and for how much time?

2) Why do you need so much time?

3) Why you couldn't do what you needed to do during the time you already had?

4) How will you be supporting yourself for this additional time since you are not allowed to work?

5) What STRONG ties do you have to your home country to ensure that you will go back?

6) What preparations have you made to go back?

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for yr answer. But instead of applying for tourist status. Can I leave the country for a day or so n re enter as a tourist for a month. Is there any time limit on re entering Usa after my opt expires as a tourist

You technically could do that, but you would still have to satisfy the answers to the questions above. If the CBP officer is not satisfied, they can turn you away. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Thank you. Just one last question. Is there a time period after opt that u cannot re enter Usa ...my friends are confusing me in that saying after opt when u leave the country. One cannot enter for couple of months on a tourist visa. Just need a clarification on this pls

There is not, technically, but the faster you come back the harder it will be to come back. It is usually better to try for a change of status while in the U.S. Please do not forget the positive rating. Thank you.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!