Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

CPT student applying for h1b. Should i apply with change of…

CPT student applying for...

CPT student applying for h1b. Should i apply with change of status or consular processing

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the student taken? Have they filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has the student talked to a lawyer about the H-1B visa?

Not yet

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

You are not eligible for OPT? When does your program end?

My employer is applying for H1b and I am working as part of my CPT (which is valid till June 23, 2018 ). Should application be "Change of status" or "Consular processing"

I understand that. But my questions still remain. You are not eligible for OPT? When does your program end? Does is end the same date as your CPT?

This is my second masters program and my program ends August 2019.

Ok. So you would be maintaining your legal F-1 status until at least October 1, 2018 if not longer, correct? Just that you would not be able to work after June 23, 2018, correct?

I need to get new I-20 for every semester with work authorization. So for this semester, I have received work authorization until June 23.

Ok. It is better usually to apply or change of status. If you are approved, you would automatically change status to H-1B on October 1, 2018 or after, depending on when you are approved. If you do Consular Processing, you would have to leave the U.S. before your status expires and get H-1B visa stamping in your passport to come back and the earliest you could come back would be no more than 10 days before October 1, 2018. My recommendation is change of status.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

One last question: As I am in CPT am i eligible for cap gap extension?

Unfortunately, cap gap does not apply to CPT. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!