Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How are you. I have a friend, a former employee who came to…

Hi How are you...

Hi How are you. I have a friend, a former employee who came to this country from the Bahamas as a child, with his mother. They over stayed their visa. He is 23 now, has a social security number. He had a death in the family and made the mistake of going back to the Bahamas, with passport. Does he have any options to get back here?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

Not since he left

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should be it

he is in the DACA system. Left for the Bahamas 3/26/17
3/27/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

If he had applied for Advance Parole he would have had a chance of being re-admitted but he had to file the I-131 before he departed the US and then have it approved and in hand when he left.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
he cannot return at all?
what will happen if he goes to the Freeport Bahamas airport pre-clearance?
he cannot return at all?What will happen if he attempts to re-enter by going through pre-clearance in Freeport, Bahamas?

There is absolutely no penalty to him for trying. If that is the island closest to him and he is inspected and paroled back in without the advance parole document that is OK, better than OK. He has then been inspected for admission and if he happens to fall in love with a US citizen he could get married and adjust status here in the US.

That is one of the secrets of DACA and getting advance parole, it counts as an inspected admission to be able to adjust status through marriage.

And the worst that can happen is he is refused to be admitted. Let them refuse him as at least he has tried.

Judith