Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a friend who is a Chinese national who would like to…

I have a friend...

I have a friend who is a Chinese national who would like to visit me in Washington state. He has been denied a visa twice when he lived in Singapore. Is there a way I can assist him to get a visitors visa to com see me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No what type of paper work?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No

3/27/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What is your connection to this friend? Is there a potential romantic relationship? Is immigration aware of you? Are you a U.S. Citizen?

to both

Then unfortunately, the news is not good. Because they are aware of the relationship, the risk of using a B-2 and then marrying and staying and applying for Residency is too high. They don't want someone using a visitor visa when they may have an intent to immigrate. Because they are aware of the relationship, they are pretty much not going to approve a visitor visa to come to visit. There is just no visa available to "see if it works out". So he has the following options to come and none of them are fast, unfortunately, but please remember not to get mad at me, I am only the messenger:

1) The K-1 fiance visa takes around 9 months, but you must have met before at least once during the last two years in order to process it. The is the form that starts the process is the I-129F. After he enters the U.S., then you have to marry and then you have to file the I-485 and he will have to wait about 5 to 7 months and gets another interview that you attend with your new spouse so that he can get Residency.

2) The K-3 spouse visa takes around 9 months, you must be married. The I-129F and also an I-130 are what are used to start the process. Then after he enters the U.S., he must still file the I-485 and wait for the marriage interview about 5 to 7 months later.

3) The CR-1 visa (or IR-1 if your marriage is more than 2 years old) takes also around 9 months (making the K-3 almost obsolete). You must be married. The I-130 is the form that is needed to start this process. But once he enters the U.S., he enters as a Resident and he does not have to file (or pay for) an I-485 nor does he have to attend an additional interview. He just gets his green card in the mail a few weeks later.

So the K-1 and K-3 might be a little faster but generally more expensive. The CR-1 (and IR-1) might be a little slower, but generally cheaper. And no, there is no middle-visa that he can use to enter the U.S. while that process is pending. He will most likely have to wait outside.

Here is a link to those visas:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/family/fiance.html

and another link:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Resources%20for%20Congress/Congressional%20Reports/I-129F%20Petition%20for%20Alien%20Fiance%28e%29.pdf

I know you do not want to wait. I know it is very inconvenient. I know you want to be together sooner rather than later, but I have this same conversation two or three times per day on this website. No one ever likes it and believe me, if there was an easier or faster way, I would tell you. I know you will probably say, “but what about this...?” or “but what about that...?” But I will most likely continue to have bad news for you. I am truly sorry. The problem is that the U.S. concerns over security and fraud in this area are more important than a 6 to 9 months inconvenience to you. The way they see it is that if it truly is a real relationship, it will survive that length of time apart. Again, I am truly sorry. I wish I had a faster and easier way to tell you about.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

We met after he filed the 2 visa applications in Singapore, and was denied. We have been travel buddies for the past 3 years and fell in love over time. So is there no other way to help him get a visitors visa?
Cheers,
Bruce D

He would have to prove that he does not have immigrant intent and it's basically too late for that now. I am truly sorry. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!