Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife passed the exam for her citizenship in decision

My wife passed the...

My wife passed the exam for her citizenship in decision 2016. They have not responded in over a year. What can we do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your wife taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes everything has been submitted. They have not asked for any information. She has been a permanent resident for over 13 years. I am a vet. We have been married for 13 yrs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just need to know what we can do to get them to make a decision.

3/26/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Thank you for your service to our country. What city and state do you live in? Most offices are backed up, so there isn't much that can be done unless there is a legitimate emergency, but let me check how much they are delayed in your area.

Necedah, Wisconsin the immigration service is Minneapolis Minnesota

Is there some emergency situation that could be used to expedite?

I think a year and 3 months is reason enough. Actually year and half from when we submitted n400 application.

What was the date that they interviewed her? Does she have any long trips during the last 5 years? Did she apply with 3 years of Residency or 5 years?

No long trips and she has been a permanent resident for 13 years. Passed her oral and written test 100 percent in December 2016.

Ok. They should have called her for an interview already. There are a number of things that she can do to push the case along:

1) Call the USCIS Customer Service number at 1-***-***-****.

2) Go to http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and make an appointment to speak in person with an immigration officer to find out the status.

3) If the case is very delayed, you may contact your U.S. Congressmen to get them involved and have their staff push the case along. Here is a helpful link to help you with this: http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml.

4) And finally, you could hire an attorney to find out the status and also push the case along. You can try to find one at http://www.ailalawyer.com/.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!