Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was charged for my first felon which was stealing and my…

I was charged for my...
I was charged for my first felon which was stealing and my probation ends September 28 2018 and I need to renew my alien card so I can go home to the Philippines for a vacation and my question is would this affect my application for a renewal of my permanent alien card?
3/26/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

First felony? You have more than one?

It's my first
It's my first time

Ok. Some felonies can make you deportable from the U.S. What was the felony and what was the sentence?

There's no sentence.im on probation for 3years and it ends September 28/18 .i was caught stealing so I'm on deferral

Ok. Are you sure that it wasn't a sentence that maybe was suspended?

No it's not
Just have to pay for the restitution
Every month

Ok. Good. Then you should be able to obtain a renewal of your Residency. However, to travel with the least amount of issue, you should have with you certified copies of the police report and court disposition to show at the Port of Entry if asked As for U.S. Citizenship in the future, you should wait 5 years after your probation and restitution is complete to give you the best chance of approval.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!