Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Do i have to ask my question here? is my privacy safe? It's…

Hello, do i have...

Hello, do i have to ask my question here? is my privacy safe?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

It's in the process and we are waiting, i just had a question about a situation that might affect my applicaition

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it, i just need to ask the question. it's medical marijuana related. im wondering if it is going to affect my application

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

You want to know if your application for medical marijuana will effect what application?

I am 19 years old and my parents( my mom is the main applicant) applied for green card like 8 months ago. around 5 months ago i saw an on the internet about medical marijuana card and it was only 30 dollars so i bought it and only used it once. but now im scared it might affect out application and the deport me. I live in California by the way.

U.S. immigration law is federal law. Federal law does not recognize marijuana use. It can cause you an issue. I would turn in the card and have it revoked if you can so that you minimize any issue with your green card. If they think that you have an issue with drug use or abuse, you can be denied the green card.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

ok so two things: 1- because i'm under 21 i'm not being interviewed, is that better for my case?
2- How will they find out that i have one if i don't tell them? is it in the system somewhere?

1) It is helpful but no guarantee of avoiding the issue.

2) Of course it is in a system. This is highly regulated, so of course there are records that can easily be accessed by the government.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

what if i don't use the card anymore? because i don't know how to revoke the card.I am so sorry with all these questions, it's matter of life and death to me and my parents would be really disappointed if that happens.

Contact the agency that issued the card and ask them to revoke or withdraw it.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!