Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am in the process of applying for adjustment of status -

I am in the...

I am in the process of applying for adjustment of status - my husband is a US citizen. I have already submitted forms I-130, I-485, I-767, I-131 and I-864EZ. I recently received a Request for Initial Evidence (I-485) stating that I cannot use form I-864EZ and that I must submit the regular form I-864. It states that “documentation indicates that the I-485 applicant is a family-based preference immigrant and has a spouse and/or children who are derivative applicants (“riders” on form I-130) who have applied for adjustment of status with the principal applicant”. This is confusing because I am the ONLY immigrant being sponsored and I do not have any derivative applicants. Additionally, my husband (who is a US citizen) makes enough to satisfy the income requirement. Why are they requesting this and stating that I have derivative applicants when I don’t?Ps I am planning on submitting form I-864 with supporting documentation (federal income tax returns, W2s) - is there anything else I need to include?I have another quick question - should I submit form I-693 along with the RFE? I know you can submit it separately or wait until the interview (if you have one), but would it be okay if I submitted it together with the new form I-864?Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it... How much does this cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Immigration Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Okay thanks

3/26/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Even though you do not have any derivatives applying with you, do you have any children at all?

No
Phone call session started

I see that you asked for a refund. Did I do something wrong? Please let me know. Thank you.