Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Again, Well after looking at the options available I am

Greetings Again,Well after looking at...
Greetings Again,Well after looking at the options available I am seeking a different course. If I wanted to attend a college in the U.S. my understanding is that as a Canadian I would not require a VISA. However I think this applies to only SEVP approved schools.I recently finished a B.A. in Theology from a small church run college in N.C.. I wish to complete a Masters and their doctorial program but this is not offered online and must be attended in person. Being a small church run school they would not be SEVP approved. Is there any way for me to attend?Classes run from September to May and would take two years to complete would I need to return to Canada between the school years?How much money would I need to demonstrate that I can afford to live without working in the U.S.?What would I need to establish ties to Canada?All of the secondary questions obviously depending on my ability to attend in the first place.Thanks Steve
3/26/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello and welcome back. Please remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question and I can become your personal immigration consultant.

Here is an official link:

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/canadian-students/

The way for you to attend that school is for them to become SEVIS approved. Here is a link:

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/getting-started-with-sevp-certification

If they do not want to get certified, then you may have to find another school that is certified.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!