Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I got a jury summons and I am not a US citizen. I do not…

I got a jury...

I got a jury summons and I am not a US citizen. I do not hold any proper status. From my research on the web I understand that I have to either call the court clerk, and explain that I'm not a citizen of United States or just submit the application I received and right noncitizen – non-applicable - for the documents they're requiring to submit like green card, visa.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

The only paperwork I filed is when I get my drivers license 15 years ago in Maryland, I'm not a registered voter , I also file taxes every year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

I have but I don't have any options for tha. My big concern right now is responding to the jury summons because I have 10 days to return this application that I gap on Friday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just need an advice how to properly respond to the jury duty summons.

3/26/2018
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you can simply submit a copy of your current green card and passport page, and write in there that you're not a citizen and therefore don't have any ability to serve on a jury. You may also call them to let them know this, and simply by calling them they could take you off the juror rolls and say that you're not required to show up.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Hello Scitty Mac Esc,I do not hold any status, therefore I cannot send a copy of green card Visa or any other legal document, but the passport from a different country. Thank you!

Yes, just anything that you can show as evidence that you are not "qualified" (the legal word) to serve as a juror would be what you would want to send.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
I also have a ssn card with my name on it, but it says that I can work just with a special permit. I did obtain that when I had a J one visa
I will definitely rate with five stars for all the help thank you!
Should I submit also the Social Security card?

No. All you need to do is present enough proof that you're not a citizen, and the passport (along with your statement that this is the case) will be enough.