Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am on my H1b visa with current employer "A" and also my…

Customer Question
I am on my...

I am on my H1b visa with current employer "A" and also my I-140 was approved with my current employer "A". But my employer A had withdrawn my I-140 after an year of approval in 2016. I am still with my employer A. My h1b extension is due for renewal in June 2018. If I have to transfer my h1b to new employer B, are there going to be any issues with h1b with the new employer since my I-140 was withdrawn with employer A?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes I did file all legal documents with the US government

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the H-1B visa?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I posted the question above

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/26/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your immigration law question today. I'm attorney Bill an experienced immigration lawyer assisting you today.

You can have as many visa applications with USCIS as you wish so the withdrawal of your i-140 application by one employer isn't going to effect your new H1b visa application.

So long as you maintain your status on a legal visa or file a change of status application with USCIS your stay will be legal in the US.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return remember to rate positively today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

if I have a new employer B, is it possible for me to have multiple H1b extensions without applying for PERM with new employer B? Or do I have to still go thru the process of applying PERM and I-140 and get the approval and then only I am eligible for H1b extension with the new employer b?

Each H1b application is separate and there is no interlinking between your multiple applications.

You need to follow up with USCIS to complete the visa process if accepted.

You aren't obliged to apply for a green card or i-140 and your employer similarly isn't required to file this application for you.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

My question is: Can my new employer B file for H1b extensions in the future without having initiated my green card process?
Note: I already had multiple extensions (beyond 6 years limit) since my I-140 was approved with my current employer but it was later withdrawn after an year of approval status.

Under AC 21

a final rule published by USCIS in 2017 the rule is the following:

"

H-1B and other nonimmigrant matters

• 1-year extensions of H-1B status beyond six years under AC21 106(a)
    • Long-adjudication basis: Labor Cert or I-140 has been pending for more than 365 days
    • Must be beneficiary of approved EB-1, 2, or 3 petition
    • Only H-1B nonimmigrants may request an extension under AC21 106(a)
    • Extensions one year at a time
    • Someone who does not file an adjustment of status application or apply for an immigrant visa within one year of an immigrant visa number becoming available is no longer eligible for 1-year extensions of H-1b status beyond six years under AC21 106(a). Read a brief NAFSA advisory on this point.
  • 3-year extensions of H-1B status beyond six years under AC21 104(c)
    • Per-country per country or worldwide immigrant visa cutoff basis
    • Do not have to be in H-1B status at time request is filed
    • Extensions 3 years at a time"

Your new employer would have to comply with the above to allow extension after 6 years.

I see you have yet to leave a positive rating.

Thanks

Attorney Bill