Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I need to talk to immigration lawyer ASAP. None but I’m

Customer Question
I need to talk...

I need to talk to immigration lawyer ASAP

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

None but I’m getting there me and my wife have a child and I want to bring my wife’s mom over here for a month or two need the fastest way to do so

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to bring her from Russia to USA do I buy tour package J1 etc.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/25/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

The J1 is not an option for your mother-in-law unless she has employment as a scholar or other professional position. She would not qualify as an au pair as the age cut-off for that is 26.

That leaves her with the visitor visa as her option.

The consular officer at her visa interview will be most interested in whether she has compelling ties that she risks loosing if she does not return to Russia at the end of her stay. Does she have a job that she has held long term? Have any immediate family members used a tourist visa to come to the US and not returned to Russia?

Also, she cannot say she is coming here to help care for her grandchild. That is considered unlawful employment since that is a paying job in the US. She can disclose that she has a new grandchild she desperately wants to come and see.

Since she has a daughter here, buying a tour package would raise more suspicions that if she had no relations in the US. I would not suggest that as a good option.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer