Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a United States citizen. I have a special friend that…

I am a United...

I am a United States citizen. I have a special friend that lives in nigeria, that I would like to come live with me in the United States. It would be a permanent stay. What steps do we take to get this done legally.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not as yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We just discussed today and want to make sure we do everything correctly

3/25/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Have you ever met in person? OR are you planning to marry?

We have not met in person and there is a possibility we could marry
I prefer to text

Well unfortunately there is no way to bring your special friend unless you see eachother at least once and either get married on that visit or intend to marry in the future. This is required for both of the options that you have. Here are the options:

You have a few options in this case..

A) K-1 fiance- for this visa you must have seen eachother in person at least once in the last 2 years when you apply. You cannot get married yet. You would have to marry once he or she is in the US. To begin the process you will submit the form I-129F to start the process and that will cost $535 plus a fee for the visa processing at the US embassy later. The form is on uscis.gov/forms - It takes about 6 to 9 months for the foreign person to be approved and then get the interview in their country and then enter the US after you apply. You would qualify only if you meet once in the last 2 years and have proof of it. After they get approved hopefully, then they will enter the U.S., then you have to marry here within 90 days of entering and then you have to pay $1225 for the I-485 application after marriage which is for the actual green card. They will be called in for another interview here that you attend with your new spouse in about 5-6 months. Your spouse cannot work until they receive a work permit around 3-4 months after submitting the application with the I-485.

B) If you decide to get married first in Nigeria or anywhere else, then your spouse would qualify for the The CR-1 visa. This one takes about 9 months to 1 year before he or she is allowed into the US after sending the application. To begin You will submit an I-130 application. The fees are $535 for the I-130 and $325 and $120 for the visa processing fee at the US embassy/consulate and for an Affidavit of Support fee. The good thing is that once he or she is approved and enters the US, he ir she will already be a permanent resident and doesn't have to apply for the I-485 or for anything else in the US. He can also work right away. That means you don't pay the $1225 that I mentioned in option A. He will just receive the green card in the mail. . USCIS immigrant fee is $220 and needs to be paid.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee in the future. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen thank you for your response. I have a different sceniro to ask. If I were to have my friend from Nigeria come to the United States and stay with me until he could find a good job or go to school, with no marriage involved, what steps would we take. Thank you pat

Unfortunately that option does not exist. The only way for him to come to the US other than through marriage without a job or school BEFORE coming, would be a tourist visa. This is the B2 visa. For this he has to go to the US embassy and apply for the visa. If granted he can come to the US as a tourist for 6 months. He cannot be coming with intentions to stay here and start school or work or stay and marriage you. His intentions must be purely to visit and then leave.

I hope this helps and I hope you can kindly leave a good rating.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney