Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I recently had a fare evasion yellow ticket and i was

Hi, I am Augustine...

Hi, I am Augustine, i recently had a fare evasion yellow ticket and i was advised to pay and be free of which i did. i came here with an immigrant visa and my green card was issued but never received. I called the USCIS and was told to apply for replacement. I did that last monday but my problem is that am I going to be denied because of the fare evasion? thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes. i filed form I-90 for replacement of the green card

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No. because I was new i dont know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if the paid fare evasion is going to have bad consequence on the replacement of the green card

3/25/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks!
Phone call session started

:)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello, please I want to know if the fare evasion can be expunged from my record and if yes what steps should I take. I am really uncomfortable with it. Someone just told me USCIS take trivial violation seriously as an immigrant. Thank you

USCIS does not take a fare evasion ticket into consideration for your green card, unless maybe you had MANY tickets for this plus other things.

I am not sure about getting it expunged. For this, you would have to speak to a criminal attorney in your city. That is not an immigration issue unfortunately. However, just so you are aware, even if you can get this or any crime expunged from your records, USCIS still sees all arrests and crimes. You still need to disclose it to them in the future. Expungement does not change that.

Hope that helps. Do not worry about this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok! thanks very much. This is my first encounter with the law that’s why I am worried. So should I disclose it to them at my biometric appointment?

No, you disclose it in the future for your citizenship application.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks! Got you. How is fare evasion classified in terms of crimes? Or is it part of crime of moral turpitude? If NO, what are some of the examples of crime of moral turpitude?

It is not part of crimes of moral turpitude. It is nothing. It is a minor civil infraction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What will be the consequences of withdrawing I-90 applications

You will not get the green card.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can I reapply again after withdrawal?My problem is i came here with diversity visa. I applied the immigrants visa by filling the DS 260 form online in Ghana. On the I-90 form they asked the location where I applied the immigrant visa, I wrote Accra-Ghana but I think that form was submitted to Kentucky Consular Center (KCC). So I am confused that I have made a mistake or it’s not an issue for me.

You did it correctly. I'm sorry but I cannot continue answering questions on this post. You would have to open a new post and pay again to continue .

Best.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you for your answers. So grateful!
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney