Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How much does this service cost? I am filing for adjustment…

How much does this...

How much does this service cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Okay. I am filing for adjustment of status today. I am a DACA recipient who is married to a US citizen and entered the country with a Visa/overstayed my I94 permit. I have completed all forms but I needed to clarify a few things before I mail it out today. I was hoping an immigration professional would be able to assist me

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Will i be talking to an immigration lawyer? i have filled out all forms necessary I485, I130, I864, and I765

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I would like to know if its an issue if I send a joint sponsor if it turns out that my husband meets requirements for the affidavit of support. Also, am I able to renew my work permit even though the current one I have was obtained under the C33 category and now it is being requested to renew under the C9 category since I am adjusting of status.

3/24/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Happy to help. Here are your answers.

1. Yes, I would like to know if its an issue if I send a joint sponsor if it turns out that my husband meets requirements for the affidavit of support?

No, that is not a problem. If your husband does qualify, then he will be considered the sponsor and the joint sponsor will not be needed. But it's better to send it to be on the safe side.

2. Also, am I able to renew my work permit even though the current one I have was obtained under the C33 category and now it is being requested to renew under the C9 category since I am adjusting of status.

Yes, you can submit the I-765 for another work permit even if you already have one based on DACA. However, when you fill out the I-765, do not select "renew" because renew is only based on the same category. So you would choose "initial application."

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem a bit complicated. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with review of all applications documents before mailing them in just to have peace of mind that everything is correct, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you. :)

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Thank you so much. One last question, in the I 130 my husband has to answer page 8 part 4 question 61 a the following question " the beneficiary is in the united states and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the us citizenship and immigration services office in ..." I originally wrote chicago IL there because that is where the application will be sent out however, I recently read in multiple forums that this should actually say the city we live in because USCIS will use this to schedule the interview location. Is this correct? Should this say chicago (where its sent) or where I will be living when I adjust status?

Yes, it is the city you live that you write there not Chicago.

Hope that helps!

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney