Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I would like to purchase a residence in the USA, probably…

I would like to...

I would like to purchase a residence in the USA, probably Colorado and reside there most of the year. I am retired at this time so I do not need to work.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

3/24/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

What is your nationality?

I am Canadian citizen
No call at this time, I am just starting to research the proposed move

And how long do you plan to be in the US per year?

more than the 6 months allowed at this time

Do you have any close family living in the US?

no

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job.

Keep in mind that my job is to provide you with information, whether the outcome is what you had hoped for or not. Only telling you what you to hear is not the purpose of this site and it doesn't do you any good. So if you are upset about the outcome but the quality of my customer service is good, please do not give me a negative rating. I am only a messenger. If you need more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you.

ANSWER: The only way you can "live" in the US is to immigrate here. And there are only a handful of ways one can qualify for that:

- family

- employment

- asylum/refugee

- large financial investment

- special circumstances

Owning property is not a path towards immigration to the US. So unfortunately, if you are retired and you do not have any family here, and none of those other avenues are possible in your case, then you will not be able to live in the US. Only the visit of up to 6 years will be available.

Although I know that is not the outcome you wanted to hear, I hope I have answered your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer