Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a friend who is from Nepal and is on TPS ( temprorary…

Customer Question
I have a friend who...
I have a friend who is from Nepal and is on TPS ( temprorary protected status). Can she apply with the US Army? Will the TPS extend?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/24/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

Your friend has to be in lawful nonimmigrant status to join the military. TPS is not lawful status. It is only a temporary protected status that can end at any time the Secretary of State decides to end it.

As for whether TPS for Nepal will be extended is unknown. Dept of State just recently cancelled TPS for several countries with no notice. Trump is not a fan of TPS.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith