Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How can i stay legally in fla as a retireree. Florida. I got…

Customer Question
How can i stay...

How can i stay legally in fla as a retireree

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I got my driver lisence and tag in florida , us social security from my husband and a plan a card because i will be 65 this year

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a canadian who's father was merican and i own my own house in fl

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/24/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 3 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Is your husband a US citizen?

no he was a legal resident alien working as a aerospace engeneer

Have you ever looked into whether you have citizenship through your father? Did your father ever live in the US, if so when and how long?

but he dint live in the usa long anought to allow me to have cittenship

Your payment failed for a phone call, sorry.

Unfortunately, there exists no way for you to stay here permanently just based on being a retiree. You can just come in and out 6 months at a time.

These are the only ways to receive a green card to be able to live here :

1. These are options available. The most common way is through a person's family or spouse. The family must be US citizen or legal permanent residents (green card holders) and they must petition the person (you) with form I-130 Not all family qualifies, it must be someone's spouse, parent or child if they are 21 and over, or also through a sibling... If the person has one of those in the US, they can petition for the person to come to the US but there is usually still a wait time, in some cases many years.

2. The next way is through a job/employment. For a green card it depends on your educational background and experience but most commonly you will need at least a Bachelor's degree. If not you will need 3 years experience for each year of a Bachelor's so 12 years. Most importantly you would need a job offer from a company that is willing to petition for your green card.It is difficult because it is costly. The company has to pay you (the person) the "prevailing wage" for your position and must show that it can afford your wage and has a need for your position and that you studied that field or has experience. That company has to go through a process called Labor Certification which begins with proving to the US Dept of Labor that you (the person) would not be taking a job away from a US citizen or resident in the US. For this, the less experience and education you have the more difficult and longer this will take to have a green card available and you cannot wait here inside the while you wait for a green card to be available. This is the Eb-2 and Eb-3.

If you are a person of extraordinary ability, top 10% of your craft, you may qualify for extraordinary ability visa EB-1. For that you don't need an employer to sponsor you. You sponsor yourself but it is difficult to qualify.

3. Investing in the US is another way to get your green card here. If you can invest at least $500,000 in a company in the US, there is a special green card program. You would also have to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers through this investment. This is the EB-5

4. The next way is applying for asylum.

You must prove that if you returned to your home country, you will be persecuted there on account of your religion, race, nationality, religion, or membership in a particular social group.

You would have to show that you would be persecuted for the reasons I listed. It has to be something that is happening only to you or a small group and not to the general population. You would have to apply for this within 1 year of entering the US.

5. The last way is through the diversity visa ( which is a lottery). Here is more information on that. http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/other-ways-get-green-card/green-card-through-diversity-immigration-visa-program/green-card-through-diversity-immigrant-visa-program

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back. Please let me know how else I can help and please kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★. I'm sorry, I know the answer was not what you were hoping, but I hope you can understand that I don't make the laws here and I can't change them. Hope you can appreciate my honestly as I don't want to lie just to earn a higher rating. Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here.