Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am in India. My card Expired on March 6,2018. I can not…

I am in India. My...
I am in India. My Green card Expired on March 6,2018. I can not travel to USA now due to health reasons. Could I apply for green card renewal form I-90 in India?
3/24/2018
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Unfortunately no, you cannot apply for a green card renewal from outside of the US.

How long has your stay outside of the US been?

Also, is your expired green card a 10 year OR 2 year green card?

Thanks!

Re. It is almost two years the reentry permit has expired in 2016 after two year renewal. The green card also expired. What are her options?

Can you please clarify, how long has she been out of the US?

Was it a 2 year green card, or 10 year green card that just expired?

Outside India from August 2014

Hello, thanks for the additional information.

Unfortunately if she has been out of the US since 2014, her green card would now be considered abandoned and she would no longer be able to renew it or use that green card.

She actually would need to apply for a new green card.

How did she receive her green card initially? Was it through a family member?

If so, her family member would need to file a new petition for her to receive her permanent residency.

Again, since she has been out of the US for 4 years, her permanent resident status would now be considered abandoned.

I'm sorry to not have better news for you but I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

She received her initial visa through me. I applied for visa for my brother as a family member, she came with them as a minor and stayed here for sometime. My brother now surrendered his green card and lives in India. How can I apply for my niece now?If so, her family member would need to file a new petition for her to receive her permanent residency.
Is that mean now I have to apply for my brother, if so how can my niece can come since she is more than 25 years old. or can apply for her?

Unfortunately you won't be able to petition for her directly as US immigration laws currently don't allow for sponsorship of a niece.

There are only certain immediate relatives that can be sponsored -- parents, children, spouses, fiances, and siblings.

That means that yes, you would have to petition for your brother, then once he receives his permanent resident status, he would have to petition for her.

Unfortunately the processing times for this can be quite lengthy.

Sibling sponsorship processing time can range around 10 years, and the sponsorship for an adult child of a permanent resident can be quite lengthy too, around another 5-7 years.

Note, your niece would also need to remain unmarried during this time, and permanent residents can only sponsor unmarried children if they're over 21.

I'm sorry to not have better news for you, but I hope that information is at least helpful to let you know the applicable US immigration laws.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones