Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was wondering if a deferred judgement is the same as a…

Customer Question
Hello I was wondering...

Hello I was wondering if a deferred judgement is the same as a deferred adjudication?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I received a deferred judgement in Iowa, However the job application I'm applying for is in Colorado and is asking me if I have ever received a deferred adjudication.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I'm just wondering if its the same thing and needs to be reported on the job application

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope okay

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/23/2018
Immigration Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Here is the relevant Iowa code addressing this issue:https://law.justia.com/codes/iowa/2011/titlexvi/subtitle3/chapter907/907-3/You will see it refers to the same type of disposition as Colorado where a case is ultimately dismissed after a trial period so to speak.
Colorado statute herehttp://www.lpdirect.net/casb/crs/18-1_3-102.html
would I answer yes to having a deferred adjudication?

If the applicant has the listed offense or a similar offense/incident on their record then since it will typically be revealed in a background check most people will answer honestly since many employers will not hire if they discover the incident on their own.

Employers may also consider the gravity of the offense and how long ago it was along with other mitigating factors.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.