Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am in Utah as a tourist and I need help to figure out what…

Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is***** am in Utah as a tourist and I need help to figure out what to do next if I want to stay in the USA to work or study.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am Russian, I live in Denmark with my Danish husband. I am thinking to get masters in the USA.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

OK, so what are your questions?

Dear *****, I need a little advice on what can I do and what legal opportunities do I have. What kind of visa in my case is best suitable.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: It is completely dependent on what you are trying to do (i.e., the purpose of your staying in the US). If you pan to study, then you would require an F1 student visa.

In order to apply for a change of status to student status, you will need to file form I-539, Application for Change of Nonimmigrant Status, with evidence that you have been admitted and enrolled in school (get an I-20 from the DSO), that you have the ability to support yourself and pay tuition and fees, room and board, and that you have strong ties to Russia or your place of residence prior to coming to the US.

I would not do apply for this change of status within the first 90 days of coming to the US.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Thank you for your answer! I will try to be more specific. And I have only last two small questions Q1: I know in general about F1 visa, but after I apply and if it takes more time than my tourist visa allow me to stay, will I be able to stay in the USA during that visa process time? Q2: If I apply for a long-term educational course (not graduate program) is it a longer process of issuing visa comparing to the standard student visa (graduate program) Will I also be able to stay in a country while wating? Thank you!