Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am filing I-485 now and come to this question. I married a…

I am filing I-485 now...
I am filing I-485 now and come to this question. I married a US citizen before and have applied for I -485 since I wanted to apply for green card through marriage. But we then divorced and I didn’t go to the uscis interview so I didn’t get a green card or EAD card. But now I married another guy and he is applying for Eb1a now. I don’t know how to answer this question.
3/23/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Well, did you ever seek an immigrant visa from abroad?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
never. when I married with that US citizen I was in US holding an F-1 visa

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: The answer, then, would be NO. An I-485 application is not the same thing as a visa from an embassy/consulate abroad.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Along with I -485 I need to attach all my old I-20s. But I called my college the international student service told me that it has been 9 years and they don’t have my record any more. I now only have all my I-20s from 2011 till now. What Can I do?
You have not kept your own copies?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no I wrote an explanation letter and attached after my I -20

OK. Just so you know, this is a new question. It was supposed to be posted in a new thread. As a courtesy I will answer it for you now.

All you can do is provide an explanation, and then ask the school to provide a letter stating that they no longer have copies of it either.

In the future, keep copies of ALL of your immigration-related documents.

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer