Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am filing I-485 now and come to this question. I married a…

I am filing I-485 now...
I am filing I-485 now and come to this question. I married a US citizen before and have applied for I -485 since I wanted to apply for green card through marriage. But we then divorced and I didn’t go to the uscis interview so I didn’t get a green card or EAD card. But now I married another guy and he is applying for Eb1a now. I don’t know how to answer this question.
3/23/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Well, did you ever seek an immigrant visa from abroad?

never. when I married with that US citizen I was in US holding an F-1 visa

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: The answer, then, would be NO. An I-485 application is not the same thing as a visa from an embassy/consulate abroad.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Along with I -485 I need to attach all my old I-20s. But I called my college the international student service told me that it has been 9 years and they don’t have my record any more. I now only have all my I-20s from 2011 till now. What Can I do?
You have not kept your own copies?
no I wrote an explanation letter and attached after my I -20

OK. Just so you know, this is a new question. It was supposed to be posted in a new thread. As a courtesy I will answer it for you now.

All you can do is provide an explanation, and then ask the school to provide a letter stating that they no longer have copies of it either.

In the future, keep copies of ALL of your immigration-related documents.