Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If I have a felony, can I still apply for my husband to get…

Customer Question
If I have a...

If I have a felony, can I still apply for my husband to get a resident card to stay with me??

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

I was trying to file them earlier today but it had a paragraph about not having any felonies in it... honestly, I'm a bit confused on how to go about it... he is here as a student on a student visa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the student visa?

No.... we just thought it would be easier to try to get his residency since we are already married... I just don't know now if it may have hurt his chances because I have a felony...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/23/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Are you a US citizen?

What was your prior conviction?

Hi, just following up with you, I hope you received my prior message.

If you are a US citizen then yes you can petition for permanent residency for your spouse.

There is nothing in US immigration law that prevents you, the US citizen petitioner, from filing for your spouse based on a criminal record.

There are however certain criminal convictions that can prevent your spouse from being able to obtain residency -- but those refer to his criminal record not yours.

Here's a list of the forms you need to fill out and submit on his behalf:

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
Form I-130A, Biographic Information
Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (optional)
Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (optional)

Other supporting documents you'll also need to submit are:

• two color photos, taken within the last 30 days, passport style
  • birth certificate, with an English translation if it's not already in English, and
  • required fee for the application and for biometrics

You can find all of these forms and their instructions here:
https://www.uscis.gov/forms

See also:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 28 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer