Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

My family member applies I485 as Crime Victim and pay the

Customer Question

my family member applies I485 as Crime Victim and pay the fees in amount $1225 accordingly. The package was returned bu USCIS saying because of "incorrect and incomplete guarantee amount". We don't understand what does this mean. Do we need to submit 864 or this type of application needs pay more money, which we could not get an answer on USCIS web. Please help. Thank you!
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?
Customer: yes. only this reason for the rejecting.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

What do you mean by a "guarantee" amount. Does the rejection say anything about an Affidavit of Support?

When the I-485 was filed, what classification did the applicant put as the basis for I-485 filing?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
U1 visa as crime victim and her husband. Both of them are already in US and passed one year to be able qualified for applying I485 for a green card.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The return letter did not specify to submit 864 Affidavit of Support. Only says "guarantee amount is incomplete and incorrect.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
in the 485 application, she did submit her Tax Return in ordr to prove her physical presence in USA for the last 3 years.

Is there any way that you can scan and attach the document you are referring to?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just one sentence: the application "has an incorrect or incomplete guarantee amount". and asking we can resubmit the whole package after "the deficiency has been corrected. "

OK, tell me how much the check was for and to whom it was written.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
according to USCIS request: $1225 for each applicant, including fingerprint fees. It should be correct amount.

Who did you make the check out to?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Department of Homeland Security. Sorry.

OK, technically, it should be "US Department of Homeland Security," but the way you've written it, it, that should not be a basis for rejections.

Were there sufficient funds int he account? And was the check stale? What is the date on the check and the date of submission?

Expert:  Expert James replied 7 months ago.

I am still here to help you.