Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I want to know the ways as a Canadian to work and live in

Customer Question

I want to know the ways as a Canadian to work and live in the states... Arizona to be specific.
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?
Customer: No nothing yet. As I have checked into the inveestors visa as my goal is to open a business ( healing center ) but do not have the 200,000 quite yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: Previously I had but it was with the sponsorship of my now ex husbands company So now I am on my own
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

Do you hold any of the professional degrees listed at the below link to qualify for a TN NAFTA visa?

https://tnvisaexpert.com/overview/nafta-job-list/

If not, do you hold any professional degree equivalent to a US bachelor degree and have an employer willing to sponsor you?

What is your current status in the US?

Judith

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not have a degree, I am an American board certified hypnotherapist. I have looked at the nafta list and do not qualify and currently do not have any employers interested in me except one potential interview with Passages California that I was called for , but they do not hire Canadians.
I have no status in the US , I do have a TIN number as we just sold our home there, in Arizona, so I have a hold back from the IRS on some moneis there with the sale.

That is such a shame that the company who is interested in you will not petition you.

There is no wait for an available visa if the employer is willing to invest in the expense of sponsoring you but you would not be able to work for them until you have obtained your immigrant visa. That would take 12-18 months.

Most likely the employer is not willing to sponsor you is not because of your Canadian citizenship but rather economics. They must pay all the expenses and costs of filing a Labor Certification under the PERM program which requires them to prove there is no available, willing or qualified US worker to do the job. So the lawyer fees and recruitment expenses such as ads in professional journals, etc can be upwards of $10,000.

There is no other option for you unless you are in a serious relationship with a US citizen. I am not suggesting you marry but the fact is that is the only option available given your fact pattern.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith