Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My boyfriends got a deportation order when I was pregnant…

Customer Question
My boyfriends got a...

My boyfriends got a deportation order when I was pregnant with our second child, he’s here illegally what can we do to fix the problem?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet...I don’t have ANY idea even where to start...

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about removal proceedings?

We want to get married, but he has no valid id

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I guess not

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
The whole story is too involved to text
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

In what status did he enter the US?

What is his deportation order based on? Just illegal presence or is there some other offense?

He came in with a work visa, (he is a racehorse jockey)

Can you tell me which type of visa?

And again, what is his deportation order based on? Just illegal presence or is there some other offense?

I think it was a p1

He got arrested, he was drunk and we got into a fight so he was arrested for domestic violence but not convicted

Was he out of status at the time?

And did he admit to the office or take a plea deal in order to lower his charges or get it dismissed?

He was out of status already, and we went to court, we were supposed to go back but we never heard anything more

If I’m not mistake adjudication was withheld,
I have no paperwork because my storage unit flooded and we basically lost everything

Sorry for the delay. I was traveling when you responded. Did he have an attorney for his criminal case?

He did... it was a public defender,George Crimarco is who originally who filed for his visa....David and I have been together for 13 years, we have 3 kids...
—Riley is the oldest and just turned 14
yesterday, (and while not biological David
has been Riley’s dad sonce he was 18
months old
—Jace is 12 he will be 13 in October (biological)
—And finally there’s Kane...(also biological)
more often referred to as Evil-Kane-Evil,
Who just turned 7 in August.We also want to get married...but all of his ids are expired and the rest of his documents were destroyed when our storage flooded

Have you contacted the public defender for a copy of his file?

Have you contacted the court for copies of his criminal records?

Don’t know how

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: He needs to get "certified copies of court records" from the clerk of the court in which his case was being handled.

As far as the immigration case, you would get married. File the I-130 petition. Then he would make a request with the government attorney at the immigration court to jointly reopen his removal case. If there is no basis that prohibits him from staying, he would ask the judge to consider that he is now married to a US citizen and with the approved I-130, consider reversing or cancelling his removal and adjusting his status or sending the case to the USCIS for adjustment of status based on marriage to a US citizen.

I highly recommend working with an attorney who has reviewed his records and his criminal case to see if it is possible.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help?

Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Thank you!