Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I adopted two children from a non-hague country. The

Customer Question
I adopted two children...

I adopted two children from a non-hague country. The adoption was finalized in that country but my i-600 was denied. Is there any other way that I bring my children to the US?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I-600

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/23/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

As a immigration attorney for over 35 years I have long felt it very unfair and contrary to family unity to make an adoptive parent have the child in their physical custody for 2 years in order to be able to have the I-130 approved. But that is the law.

I cannot tell you the hardships I have seen families suffer dividing their time s away from their US families to satisfy the 2 year physical custody law. But that is the only option.

If you are able to accomplish that then once the children enter the US as a permanent resident and if they are under the age of 18 they would then qualify for US citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 immediately upon entry as a permanent resident. They can file the N-600 immediately upon arrival.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith