Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife is a Mexican citizen with a B2 multiple entry entry…

My wife is a...

My wife is a Mexican citizen with a B2 multiple entry entry visa, she has an excellent travel record entering and departing the US, I have accepted a new job in another state, I need her to come and help but she has reached her limit on her stay here, she is currently back home in Mexico, can I get an exception to policy that will allow her to come her just for the time it takes me to move

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the B-2 visa?

She already has one

3/23/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What is your status in the U.S.? Out of the last 12 months, how much time has she spent in the U.S.? When did she last leave the U.S.? How long did that last trip in the U.S. last?

My wifes status is she departed the US on Feb 28 2018, prior to that she was for 6 months, she came back in Jan and had to depart by 28 Feb

What is YOUR status in the U.S.?

I am a US citizen

And how long have you been married? Do they know that she is married to a U.S. Citizen? Please answer both questions. Thank you.

7 years and yes they know

If immigration knows, how does she convince them that she will go back and not stay in the U.S. to get Residency through you?

Because of her travel record, we have never indicated that we would keep her here and change her status, she still has strong ties, family her kids and we have property there.

Well, there is no "exception" per se, other than a Humanitarian Parole and you having to move due to employment is not something that will be considered humanitarian. So, it's basically what she can convince the officer at the Port of Entry. She has to be ready to answer the following:

1) Why are you coming back so soon?

2) Why couldn't you do what you needed to do during your last trip?

3) How will you be supporting yourself for this additional time since you are not allowed to work?

4) What STRONG ties do you have to your home country to ensure that you will go back?

5) What preparations have you made to go back?

If she can answer those questions to the satisfaction of the CBP officer at the Port of Entry, they should let her in.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

If I was to contact immigration and explain the situation, would it do any good?

It could make things worse. It will still depend on what she can prove at the Port of Entry.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!